I've suggested (& published in 21 journal papers) a new theory called quantised inertia (or MiHsC) that assumes that inertia is caused by horizons damping quantum fields. It predicts galaxy rotation & lab thrusts without any dark stuff or adjustment. My University webpage is here, I've written a book called Physics from the Edge and I'm on twitter as @memcculloch. Most of my content is at patreon now: here

Friday 8 February 2013

Disjointed Nature


Something I'm becoming more sure about is that I do not like the curved spacetime of general relativity, because, as Mach might have put it, bent space, just like absolute space, is a "thought thing" that one cannot directly observe. I would much rather base a theory, and I have based MiHsC, on things that can be better observed. For example: masses, distances, accelerations (more robust than velocities since they are independent of the reference frame) and also boundaries like the Hubble-scale, which can be seen in the sense that they are a boundary to what can be seen.

The curved spacetime of general relativity is the ultimate product of the Newtonian or differential toolbox, the idea of a continuous field. In my opinion it has not worked because nature is full of abrupt event horizons, and I think the way forward is going to be based on observables like masses, accelerations and boundaries.

No comments: